It is an always victorious Force, a component of naval power, composed of men who in the exercise of their motto "Action and Bravery", are able to operate in the most adverse areas and climates, overcoming any obstacle with professionalism, courage and discipline.
It is an important part of their mission, to conduct amphibious, land, river and special operations, during peacetime, crisis or war. Therefore, a Marine holds a special training based on values such as discipline, loyalty, honor and teamwork, virtues inherited from the heroic participation of the battalions "Guarnición de Marina" and "Guardia Chalaca", under the Commando of the Commanders Juan Fanning and Carlos Arrieta in the battle of Miraflores during the Pacific War.
Since its inception, the Infantry Corps has demonstrated its fighting ability every time its presence has been required, having an outstanding participation in the fight against terrorism, first in the rugged geography of Ayacucho from 1983 to 1989, as the Task Force 90; later it moved its actions to the departments of Ucayali, Junín, Huánuco, and Loreto, where Task Force 100 was established, having in the capital of the department of Ucayali, Pucallpa, the center of operations in the fight against murderous terrorist organizations attacking the people of Peru.
Its high capacity as a deterrent put it into evidence during the conflict with Ecuador in 1995, through its members of the Amphibian Command Company in Alto Cenepa and in 1997 through the Special Combat Unit that integrated the elite team into the Successful Operation Chavín de Huantar, whose execution was recognized worldwide as impeccable by releasing 72 hostages from the residence of the Japanese ambassador in Lima, on April 22 of that year.
Currently, the Infantries participate in the national pacification, fighting against narco-terrorism in the VRAEM region, has many in the border detachments and in peacekeeping operations as part of the United Nations. Since 2004 they are part of the Company Peru, deployed in the Republic of Haiti.
Regarding the renewal of its equipment, it is worth mentioning the acquisition of 32 light armor vehicles (LAV) of the 8x8 personnel transport type with amphibious, versatile capability that can carry out military operations in all types of terrain, transportation of material and personnel for humanitarian support, logistical support, as well as disembarking troops from an amphibious multipurpose ship. It is designed in a modular way, which allows you to modify its interior and be used as a logistic vehicle or ambulances.
After the declaration of independence and foundation of the Navy, on October 23, 1821; Jorge Martín Guise, Commander-in-Chief of the Navy, requested a garrison of 38 troops, which were assigned to the Balcarce and Belgrano brigantines, and on November 6th of the same year, requested the Minister of War and Navy for the formation of the Battalion of the Navy for the garrison of warships and the naval arsenal.
Several years later in 1847, President Ramón Castilla in his program of reorganization of the Navy, ordered 6 companies for the Infantry Corps; that same year, in the effort to integrate the Amazon, troops of the Battalion were sent in order to implement the fort San Ramón in Chanchamayo.
After the accident of the Frigate Independencia, May 21, 1879; Captain Juan Guillermo More and much of his crew, covered posts in the port of Arica integrating the coastal defense, giving his life for the country on June 7th, 1880, in the Battle of Arica.
The Navy was also present in other actions of the land campaign, and those registered in the southern ports formed the Naval Column, which took part in the battle of Tarapacá, while the Column of Artillery in the coast constituted in Callao when the war broke out, also highlighted the participation of the ground forces for the defense of the southern ports.
On January 10th, 1880, the Navy Garrison Battalion was set up under the command of Captain Juan M. Fanning, who had 600 troops. Its primary role would be to serve as garrison to the ships of the fleet and being instructed in the diverse types of artillery and tactics of the amphibious forces. It should be noted that this battalion had an outstanding participation in the Battle of Miraflores, not only repelling twice the enemy attacks but carrying out counterattacks with the Jauja Battalion, which drove the Chilean forces back.
On February 2nd, 1919, it marks the date of resurgence, when the Infantry Battalion was created with two Infantry Corps Fusiliers, a Machine Gun Section and a Services Section; the command was granted to LCDR Héctor Mercado; who would be replaced in November 1920, by the CDR Moisés Pino Basurco.
After World War II and the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States managed to organize a continental defensive system that, among its critical points, considered the Panama Canal and the port of Talara. The protection of this port was assumed by the Navy at the end of February 1942, assigning various resources that were renamed the Naval Service of Coastal Defense. In the middle of the following year, on June 9th, 1943, the Naval Commando Force was created, assigning it the following tasks: coastal defense, amphibious operations and the protection of naval establishments. Its organization would consist of a Commando Company, a Machine Gun Company, three Fusiliers Companies and a Band of Musicians; In addition, Alfonso Ugarte battery and a 90-millimeter anti-aircraft battery assigned; being the command, assumed by the CDR Pedro de la Torre Ugarte; the same as, from April 3, 1946 by Supreme Decree No. 011, was named Naval Infantry as an integral part of the Naval Coastal Defense Force.
In view of the importance of the assets assigned to this type of operations, in April 1946 the General Command of Coastal Defense was created, on which the Naval Command Force depended; being that, in March of 1948 it was arranged that this last one happened to denominate Marine Infantry, whose force was elevated to two Battalions in July of that same year. The General Coastal Defense Command also included a Mobile Artillery Group, a Fixed Battery for Coastal Defense and a Barge Fleet.
In 1952, with the addition of the first landing craft to our fleet, the B.A.P. "Chimbote", marked a transcendent milestone to retake the essence of the Naval Infantry Units; a Battery of the Mobile Artillery Group was transferred to the Army, in exchange for light weapons; which, should allow to organize the Naval Infantry Battalion, and a new landing ship, the B.A.P. "Paita" that arrived in Callao on April 22, 1959, strengthened this conception when the longed-for Marine Infantry Battalion was created in 1960, which took the name of the Marine Garrison in a tribute to the old Combat Unit, forming part of the Naval Force of Coastal Defense.
With some of those naval units, the Naval Infantry began its amphibious training, the same one that was duly appreciated by its own and strangers in Operation Ayacucho, in which an amphibious assault exercise took place in Chilca, on December 7, 1964 with the naval infantry detachment, which had an Amphibious Reconnaissance Unit, a Mobile Artillery Unit and the participation of Venezuelan Marine Infantry.
In the successive incorporation of the landing ships B.A.P. "Lomas" and "Ático", to which the "Independencia" Attack Transport was later integrated; marking a new milestone in the history of the Marine Corps, recovering its original capability of Amphibious Operations; On October 8th, 1971, the Naval Station of Ancon was inaugurated and, a year later, the Amphibious Command Company; whose logistics increased, with the Amphibious Vehicle Battalion; In addition, Marine Infantry detachments were established in El Salto (Tumbes), Iquitos (Loreto) and Mollendo (Arequipa).
In the following years, the Force participated in all the activities inherent to its primary function, demonstrating its combative capability whenever its presence was required, for this reason, we can point out that today it is one of the most enlisted operational forces with proven professionalism samples executed upon successful completion of the missions entrusted by the Institution in the almost 196 years of its existence; their professional quality and skills acquired through combat experience, potentiated by their winning attitude, make the Marine Corps a highly dissuasive and highly flexible element in order to comply with the new operational commitments derived from the strategic roles of the Armed Forces.
It is worth mentioning the acquisitions of amphibious vehicles, troop carriers and reconnaissance vehicles, organic, collective and support equipment; as well as weapons and communications equipment of recent technology; additionally, with the adequacy and improvement of the infrastructure of support and maintenance and the training required to achieve the desired level of enlistment. The men who serve today in the Marine Corps are therefore the heirs of a long and honorable tradition of service to the nation, and they will certainly be able to keep up our motto: ACTION AND BRAVERY!